Thursday, November 20, 2014

Author Margaret Morgan Biography


Book Link

Author Bio  

I was born in 1950, which I feel now was another age.  

Our farm was two and a half miles from the village of Leintwardine, where I 

went to primary school. My elder sister, Kate, two years older than me was already 

there. Our younger sister Liz wasn’t born until 1957. 

The farm was built in the 1750’s and had not changed since then, except for 

the addition of a black grate and oven in the kitchen. The bits to the spit 

remained, as obviously one would need it, which Mum did when feeding lots of 

shearers etc.  
Water came via a pump in the yard, or a well in the orchard; light from a 

candle; or a lamp, strictly after tea, of course. 

The yard was a beautiful cobbled pattern, I remember, until my father 

concreted it during his ‘concrete period’ in 1957, as it was so slippery.  Gone were the 

days of many cheap hands on farms, to do all the sweeping and upkeep needed. 

We had electricity when I was about four and water when my father paid for it 

to be brought in 1962. 
The thrill of a bathroom I can still remember; as we’d had an Elsan in the 

attic, as well as a two seater ‘around the corner’ in the orchard, previously. I don’t 

expect many rural children in the Herefordshire area had much different in the 

1950’s. 

From primary school at eleven, I didn’t follow my sister to Ludlow High 

School, but went to a small prep school in Leominster.  From there I went to a brand 

new secondary school in a nearby village, Wigmore. In 1966 I became Head Girl, 

which was a great step in the right direction for me. For A levels I attended Ludlow

Grammar School, until 1968. 

I decided to teach Physical Education, so trained at Weymouth College of 

Education, part of the University of Southampton. I taught PE in Bournemouth until 

1978 and changed to EFL teaching to go overseas with my husband. We lived 

in various African countries and Malta. 

In 1985 we returned and lived in London for sixteen years, teaching in private

prep schools. By now I was teaching junior girls for the London Day Schools’ 

Entrance Examination at 10+. However, I was finding life increasingly difficult. 

Looking back, it seems strange that no one put two and two together earlier 

than 1995. I had been attempting to find out what was wrong with me for nearly 

twenty years. Terrific head and lower back pain, projectile vomiting coupled with 

deteriorating ability to walk, meant nothing to a long list of doctors.  Indeed, I was 

sneered at on my medical notes.

‘Very into alternative therapies ha ha’. 

At last I saw a neurologist. 1995 meant Bart’s for three days, steroids and the 

immediate clearing of my head.  I had Multiple Sclerosis diagnosed too. The lower 

back pain faded and my headache gradually diminished. I still have leg pain, with 

excruciating right big toe pain. It seems that I have spinal stenosis and MS. 

I had to retire in 2002, as I did a graceful collapse outside my Doctor’s 

Surgery and had to call my husband to drive me less than half a mile home.
After bed rest, I could feel my feet again and began to take an interest in life.

It took a time for everything to sink in and that left me very lost. I missed 

everyone at work terribly, so my husband suggested that I write, as I had started short 

stories for competitions. As a child my sister and I had written ‘newspapers’, which 

had a limited circulation: 2 parents. I had been teaching essay writing to junior girls, 

but I already knew it was the thing for me.  

Instead of writing short stories, for experience, I leapt straight into researching 

a period of history I knew a little about, but wanted to know more. Herbal knowledge 

and midwifery in the eighteenth century seemed to naturally evolve out of my 

research. Mrs McKeiver entered my head when I first thought of a character to hold 

everything together in the Hills; my fictional area. 

I expect she is an amalgam of my mother and her two grandmothers. Coming 

from Yorkshire and Lincolnshire they were fearless, strong women. One was a land 

worker, living until her seventies; having a home and family. She was reputed to be 

able to make soup from ‘the dishcloth and an onion’. The other was perhaps better 

off, assisting the midwife at births in her rural area in Yorkshire.  I know one of 

them would beat any official with her umbrella, if she thought someone was being 

harangued for being poor and needy. A great sin in pre war days.

What I did discover from my research, was the appalling effects of Land

Enclosures on the rural poor. It equals mistreatment of a country’s own working 

people, anywhere in the World. They must have died in hundreds, as charity was very 

limited, even up to the early twentieth century.  Punishments for poaching were 

increasingly horrific too; for taking an unwanted rabbit to feed hungry children.     

At the moment I am editing and improving Book 3; thinking about Book 4 and 

writing Children’s books that are one page bedtime stories.

I belong to a very small Writers’ Circle, sisters and sister in law, but we do an 

activity every fortnight and enter competitions.  My sister in law has had many stories 

published in women’s magazines. 

In addition, Morton and Smith are publishing three of my teenage stories, in 

their termly School’s Catalogue.  

In my children’s writing the main character usually has to cope with a parent’s 

illness, and/or death.  I think that is so important, as in my experience many children 

today have to face someone in the family having treatment for cancer. The main 

character cannot cope at the beginning, but gradually realises others need support as 

much as them. They reach out and are rewarded.
The second Mrs McKeiver book is Mrs McKeiver’s Solutions, which is now

published as an ebook, by Troubador.   Book three, Mrs McKeiver’s Remedies, will 

see ‘chickens coming home to roost’.  Just desserts come to the right people and the 

mystery baby is born.  

No comments:

Post a Comment