Merry Christmas !
- 5 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon(s) ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 2 cup(s) (4 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cup(s) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoon(s) pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon(s) finely grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon(s) heavy cream
- Make the Dough: Sift together the flour, nutmeg, and salt in a medium bowl and set aside. Using a mixer set on medium speed, cream the butter in a large bowl until light and fluffy.
- Gradually adding the sugar, continue beating butter until sugar is incorporated. Add 2 eggs, 2 yolks, the vanilla, and the zest and mix thoroughly. Reduce mixer speed to medium low, add the flour mixture to the egg mixture, and mix until combined.
- Givide the dough in half, shape each piece into a 6-inch by 4-inch rectangle, and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 4 to 24 hours.
- Cut Out the Cookies: Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking pans with parchment paper and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to 1/8-inch thickness. Using cookie cutters, cut out shapes and transfer them 2 inches apart onto prepared baking pans. If you wish to hang the cookies, prick them with the blunt end of a wooden skewer to create holes.
- Gather up the dough scraps, form into a disk, and rechill. Repeat until all the dough is used. Chill cutouts until firm -- about 15 minutes.
- Bake the Cookies: In a small bowl, mix the remaining egg yolk with the heavy cream. Brush the cookies very lightly with the egg yolk wash.
- Rotating pans halfway through, bake until cookies are golden brown -- about 15 minutes. If you have created a hole, prick the cookies again when you rotate the pans to keep the hole open. Remove cookies from oven, transfer to a rack, and let cool. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.